One of the most common mistakes people make when remodeling their homes is not doing proper planning and design. Let me tell you, this is one of the biggest mistakes you can make when renovating your home. That's a recipe for wasting a ton of time and money, not to mention causing yourself a world of frustration. But don't worry, I've got some tips to help you avoid these mistakes so you can have a smooth and successful remodeling project.
1. First off, for any major remodel, if you're not hiring a professional designer, you're making a big mistake. A pro designer can help you plan your space and choose the right materials and fixtures. Without a pro, you might end up with a poorly designed space that doesn't function well.
2. Next up, not creating a budget is a surefire way to overspend and stress yourself out. Keep track of your spending and don't go over your initial budget, or you'll be in for a rude awakening when the bill arrives. It's good to get quotes up front for all of your labour and material expenses, so you know what to expect going in rather than wandering into a growing project that becomes more and more expensive all the time.
3. Also, don't forget to measure your space, people! You need to make sure you get the right amount of materials and furniture to fit your new space properly. And, if you have a family or entertain often, make sure you consider your lifestyle when planning the design. After all, if you don't end up with a space that's more comfortable to live in, then what's the point?
4. Another crucial mistake is not getting the proper permits for your project. You don't want to get fined or have to halt your project because you didn't get the right permits. For some smaller interior projects it might seem easier to get things done without a permit. For simple reno's this might be fine, but for bigger or riskier projects (i.e. structural changes, electrical, plumbing), you'll want to seek permits where necessary and get licensed trades people in. Not only will this keep your home and family safe from harm and damage, it will also preserve the future value of your home. People often do renovations on their homes without thinking much about future consequences, but unpermitted renovations are actually considered latent defects that must be disclosed if/when you go to sell in the future.
5. And don't even think about not hiring a licensed contractor. A pro contractor can help with planning, execution, and ensuring your project is up to code. This will make sure that your home is safe and retains it's value over time. Plus, a licensed contractor can answer any questions you have along the way.
6. When shopping for materials and fixtures, be sure to shop around for the best deals. You can find great prices online or at local home improvement stores. One of my local favourites is the Restore, a non-profit that resells used and open box building materials at a very reasonable price. But be sure to get quality products so you don't end up with a shoddy finished result. That doesn't mean you have to spend heaps, you can substitute standard ikea cabinets for custom european cabinets and save yourself thousands. Just make sure that the materials and installations you buy will be reliable and durable over time.
7. Do your homework! Read reviews and ask for referrals from folks you know who've recently renovated. You don't want to make a mistake that could cost you money or time.
8. Finally, take your time! Don't rush through your project or you'll end up making mistakes that will cost you even more time and money in the long run. Although a lot of these tips are meant to save you time, that doesn't mean cut corners. In reality, if you slow down to plan things out properly and do the work right the first time, that will save you having to double back and fix mistakes you've made by rushing through.
By following these tips, planning properly, and taking your time, you can avoid some of the common mistakes people often make and have a successful stress-free remodeling experience.
I am a Victoria based local realtor with eXp Realty. My commitment to honesty, integrity, loyalty and hard work have been important pillars for me because they drive a high standard of excellent service for my clients. Helping you realize your dream is my goal!
I service Vancouver Island, but my focus is on: Victoria, Sooke, Saanich, Malahat, Shawnigan Lake, Cobble Hill, Duncan, and the rest of the Cowichan Valley.