When you're buying a new home, it's important to have a professional inspection done to make sure there aren't any underlying problems. A home inspection can reveal issues with the roof, foundation, wiring, and more. Here are the top 5 benefits of getting a home inspection:
1. Peace of mind - Knowing that your new home is in good condition can give you peace of mind, especially if it's your first home. A home inspection provides you with the information you need to make educated decisions about any necessary repairs or upgrades.
2. Save money - Having a home inspection performed up front can help you avoid costly repair issues down the road. You'll be able to budget for any necessary repairs or updates and avoid paying for expensive home repairs out of your own pocket. It can also allow you to identify extremely costly defects that might affect the property. For example, if you buy a house that has a buried leaky oil tank you're not aware of, the cost to remediate can be tens of thousands (+$10k) or even hundreds of thousands (+$100k) of dollars. It's far better to spend $200-300 to inspect for this upfront and avoid buying altogether, or renegotiate, rather than stumble upon this problem after you've already purchased.
3. Get a complete overview - A home inspection goes beyond checking the condition of the roof and foundation, it also includes an in-depth look at all parts of the house including the electrical system, heating and air conditioning systems, plumbing, appliances, and more. This allows you to get a complete overview of the condition of your new home. If you are buying a detached house it can also allow you to assess other systems and installations outside of the home. For example, is the drain tile around the foundation working properly to prevent future flooding into your home?
4. Avoid safety hazards - A home inspection can help identify any potential safety hazards in your new home. This is especially important if you have young children or elderly family members living with you. By addressing any potential safety hazards, you can help keep your family safe and avoid costly accidents. With older homes there could be safety risks that you're not aware of like mold in the walls, or faulty electrical wiring that might create a potential fire hazard.
5. Save time - When you're buying a new home, you want to get the process over with as quickly as possible. A home inspection can help speed up the buying process by giving you all of the information you need up front. This allows you to get your new home sooner and start enjoying all of the benefits that come with homeownership.
Overall, having a home inspection done is one of the best ways to ensure that your new home meets all of your needs and expectations. Whether you're buying a brand new house or one that's been previously owned, it's good practice to get help from professional inspectors who can give you more information and greater peace of mind.
I am a Victoria based local realtor with eXp Realty. My commitment to honesty, integrity, loyalty and hard work have been important pillars for me because they drive a high standard of excellent service for my clients. Helping you realize your dream is my goal!
I service Vancouver Island, but my focus is on: Victoria, Sooke, Saanich, Malahat, Shawnigan Lake, Cobble Hill, Duncan, and the rest of the Cowichan Valley.