Hey folks! If you're gearing up to buy a house, there are some crucial things you need to know. I'm talking about location, size, budget, maintenance, and home inspections - they all play a massive role in this homebuying game!
1. Location is vital when it comes to buying a house. You want to find a neighborhood that you feel comfortable with in a good location. The closer to the city, the pricier the house will be, but it is worth being close to the local conveniences. It's also important to consider your lifestyle and needs. What are the commute times to work? Do you like that area? Where is it relative to close friends and family?
2. The size of the house is essential to think about. How much space do you need? Do you want a big backyard or a smaller one? Are you thinking about having a family, or maybe you are downsizing and don't need as much space to take care of? It's essential to think about these things before you start your search.
3. Budget is another crucial factor to consider when buying a house. You need to make sure you can afford the monthly mortgage payments and the other costs of owning a home. Even before that, you must ensure you'll be approved for the mortgage you need. So, if you're looking to buy a house, get a pre-approval with a mortgage broker to know what financing you will be approved for. Then, figure out how much you want to spend monthly on housing.
4. Maintenance/Repair and upkeep are also essential when purchasing a home. Who will be responsible for lawn care, repairs, and painting? These are all things you need to take into account. Stratas are a lot easier since someone else will take care of the dirty work, and you can just pay your monthly strata fees. Whereas a house gives you much more freedom and flexibility, it also comes with more responsibility!
You also want to think about upfront maintenance and repair costs for the home you're looking at. When buying a home, don't worry so much about minor cosmetic issues that can quickly be addressed over a couple of weekends of handy work. Your main concern should be ensuring the house's bones are good and you aren't getting into a property with major structural issues that will be costly to address down the road.
5. Home inspections are crucial when buying a home. They will tell you all the significant issues you need to be aware of and if the property you're looking at is in good shape or requires a lot of work and should be avoided. For a house, there are three primary inspections that most buyers should consider: a home inspection to check the house's systems and make sure there aren't any major red flags. A drain tile scan to ensure the drainage around the perimeter of the home is effectively guiding water away from the house and preventing flooding. And an oil tank scan to ensure there isn't a buried oil tank that could leak into the ground and cause many thousands of dollars of environmental damage.
Buying a house is a significant decision, and being well-prepared is crucial. Remember the key factors discussed: location, size, budget, maintenance, and home inspections. Finding the right neighborhood that aligns with your lifestyle and needs is paramount, and sizing up your space requirements will help ensure a comfortable living space. Financial planning is essential, so getting pre-approved for a mortgage is a smart move. Consider the responsibilities of maintenance and repairs, whether you prefer the convenience of strata living or the freedom of owning a house. When inspecting potential homes, prioritize structural integrity over minor cosmetic issues. Home inspections are pivotal in uncovering major red flags and ensuring the property's condition aligns with your expectations. With this knowledge, you'll be better equipped to make a wise and informed homebuying decision. Happy house hunting!
Find more great tips, strategies, and real estate information at our blog.
View new listings here.
I am a Victoria based local realtor with eXp Realty. My commitment to honesty, integrity, loyalty and hard work have been important pillars for me because they drive a high standard of excellent service for my clients. Helping you realize your dream is my goal!
I service Vancouver Island, but my focus is on: Victoria, Sooke, Saanich, Malahat, Shawnigan Lake, Cobble Hill, Duncan, and the rest of the Cowichan Valley.