Alright, folks, let me tell ya, when done well home improvement projects can be a good time! Not only that, they can also increase your net worth in the long run. Now, before you dive into your next DIY home project, check out these 10 incredibly profitable ideas that'll have your house looking sharp and your bank account smiling!
1. Painting and decorating: A fresh coat of paint can work wonders for your curb appeal and resale value. Best part? You can easily tackle this project yourself and save some cash! Imagine this, you could either pay someone else $30-40/hr to paint your house. Or you can roll up your sleeves, take off a couple of weekends to paint, and keep that money in your bank account! Whereas decorating is solely focused on adding to the comfort and look of your home, painting is also important for maintenance. For example, wood sided homes have paint that will peel and chip away over time. Exterior painting is important maintenance that will keep these kind of homes lasting longer, saving you money on repair and replacement over time.
2. Carpentry: If you know your way around a hammer and nails, the possibilities are endless! Build custom shelving, cabinets, trim, and mold to spruce up your place like a pro. Materials aren't always cheap, but the cost in labour is typically way more! You can change the look of an older home by knocking down a wall, or if you have space, add some walls and flooring to add another room in your home.
3. Plumbing: Fixing leaky faucets and installing new fixtures can add some serious value to your home. And if you aren't feeling too handy, don't sweat it – there are plenty of plumbers out there who can get the job done for you! Most people will take care of the easy stuff, and leave the difficult work to the professionals.
4. Electrical: Now, be careful with this one, because electrical work is no joke. While my personal preference is to always hire a professional for safety and liability reasons, there are plenty of people who are comfortable with some easy projects like new light installations. Either way, updating wall switches, adding pot lights, and installing new light fixtures can really make your place glow!
5. Landscaping: Time to transform that yard into a slice of paradise! A well-landscaped yard can pump up your home's value big time. So take out your green thumb and make your neighbors jealous! For easy maintenance you can stick to perrenial plants and local native plants, species that will last year over year instead of replanting annually. You can also incorporate hardscaping for low maintenance and additional use value. For example, adding a brick patio can be nice for Summer barbeques and entertaining friends.
6. Flooring: New carpet, hardwood floors, or tile can make your home look fresh. And if you're a DIY warrior, you can tackle this project yourself and feel like a champion! Vinyl floating floors are a fast, affordable, durable and nice looking option that literally snaps together in a flash.
7. Windows: Seal up those drafty old windows, or upgrade to something sleek and energy-efficient. You'll improve the look of your home while also saving on those energy bills. Install them yourself, and you're in for even more savings! Keep in mind though, that window installations usually cost you more than they add value in the short-term. So, if you are planning to do some upgrades make sure this is for your long-term home.
8. Doors: Out with the old and in with the new! Freshen up or replace those outdated doors and give your home a fresh look. And yeah, you guessed it – DIY this one too to keep those dollars in your pocket! In most cases, some sanding and a fresh coat of paint will make all of the difference. If you have to replace a door, keep in mind that it can get expensive since you'll have to replace the frame as well. So, unless it's falling apart, refurbishing an existing door is often the better way to go.
9. Siding: Time to give your home a facelift! New siding can work wonders for curb appeal. And if you're feeling handy, you know what to do – DIY! However, remember that this is typically one of those bigger ticket items, which means it's either going to cost you a lot of time, or a lot of money. If you can hold off on re-siding a home until it's absolutely necessary, you'll probably save yourself some unneeded expense.
10. Roofing: Last but not least, protect your castle from the elements by taking care of your roof. In some cases you can keep an old roof going with a simple patch job and save yourself thousands. However, every roof has a shelf life, and sooner or later you'll need to replace it with a new roof. Don't worry though, it will add value and keep your home safe and dry. Go DIY, and you'll save yourself heaps on labour cost!
There you have it friends! These DIY projects will have your home looking sharp and your wallet happy. So what are you waiting for? Get your hands dirty and get started on your next kick-ass home improvement project today!
Recommended For You:
Find more great tips, strategies, and real estate information at our blog.
View new listings here.
Get Access to our Real Estate Newsletter.
I am a Victoria-based local realtor with eXp Realty. My commitment to honesty, integrity, loyalty, and hard work have been essential pillars for me because they drive a high standard of excellent service for my clients. Helping you realize your dream is my goal!
I service Vancouver Island, but my focus is on Victoria, Sooke, Saanich, Malahat, Shawnigan Lake, Cobble Hill, Duncan, and the rest of the Cowichan Valley.